Thursday 14 August 2014

Who are ya? A Southampton fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Saint



The sixteenth installment of our series of interviews with opposing fans, we've managed to persuade Ben from Southampton fan site Go Marching In to answer our questions

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?

I'm Ben, and I started Go Marching In back in 2010 when Southampton were in League One - what a journey it has been since then! I also write fan previews for The Observer and monthly articles for FootballScores.com.

My first trip to the Dell was in 1995 against Queens Park Rangers. Despite being nine years old at the time I can still remember climbing the steps in the Milton Road stand and seeing the pitch for the very first time, looking immaculate under floodlights. Saints won 2-0 that day with goals from Jason Dodd and Matt Le Tissier. I was hooked.

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?

Probably last seasons 2-0 win at St Mary's. It's a weird one because I don't really remember too much about that game, except for one moment after Michu had missed a glorious chance with a free header. Having missed a couple of good chances in quick succession he preceeded to have a mini tantrum in the 6 yard box, much to the delight of the home fans. Must have been a good game if that's all I can recall from it...

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans?  Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

I've always liked Swansea, and I believe they try to play the game the right way. Having finished 12th last season it is my opinion that they will be there or thereabouts at the end of this campaign too. 

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?


Sigurdsson is a great signing and if he can replicate the form from his loan spell with you guys in 2012 then you'll be laughing.

I remember watching Marvin Emnes play for Middlesborough when they visited St Mary's during our stint in the Championship and he was easily their most dangerous player. He's had a couple of short spells with you before but hopefully now the move has been made permanent he can settle down and become a regular in the first team.

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Staidum before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?


I have not been to the Liberty before, I'm afraid. But I do plan to in the near future.

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

I always like to keep an eye out for former Saints players so I'd say Nathan Dyer would be my favourite Swansea player. Having come through a youth team that boasted the likes of Walcott, Lallana and Bale, I remember there being plenty of hype about Dyer too. A pacey player, but back then he never seemed to want to take defenders on and seemed to suffer a bit from indecision too (Is this still the case? [he's now making the most of this by retaining possession high up the field - Ed]). Things may not have worked out for him as planned whilst at Southampton but I was happy to see him make a name for himself at Swansea.

I don't really have a least favourite Swans player.

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him?

Brendan Rodgers impressed me most. During your debut season in the Premier League I remember thinking (most people did) that Swansea would go straight back down to the Championship. How wrong we were, but I never have a problem with being proved wrong by the type of football that you were playing.

As for Garry Monk, I like to see young British managers given a chance. Clubs are a little too eager to look for foreign solutions these days, so for that reason alone I hope he does well for you.

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?

The boat has been well and truly rocked at Southampton this summer and, whilst our course has changed and we're back sailing smoother waters again, replicating last seasons 8th placed finish is going to be a big ask.

My head says we'll finish between 10th and 12th, so from that point of view a game between Southampton and Swansea should be a very good contest.

Thanks again to Ben for taking time out to answer these questions. You can follow Go Marching In on Twitter @GoMarchingIn and check out the website www.gomarchingin.com