Saturday 2 August 2014

Who are ya? A Man Utd fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Red Devil



The third in a nineteen-part series, this installment sees Jordan Street of Manchester United fansite Old Trafford Faithful run the rule over the Swans. 

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?

Hi there, I'm Jordan Street and I run the Manchester United site Old Trafford Faithful. Before the jokes start I'm from Manchester and a season ticket holder! My dad used to take me to games when I was younger and since then I've been attached to football, and Manchester United in general.

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?

This ones easy, it has to be Sir Alex Ferguson's last home game in charge of Manchester United back in 2013. Javier Hernandez gave United a lead before half-time, then Michu equalised shortly after. We all thought it was going to end on a bit of a dull game for Fergie, but up stepped Rio Ferdinand and he slammed one in to the back of the net!

I remember it being a superb atmosphere, we'd just been crowned champions and Swansea had just won the Capital One Cup. If I remember rightly both sets of fans were given flags by United and it made for a great spectacle.

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans?  Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

I like Swansea, and the way they play football. Its fluid, attacking and exciting to watch and everyone seems to want to play for each other. Last season seemed a bit weird though, it looked as though every game was a struggle but I'd guess that was down to European football. I expect to see a much better showing in the league this season, probably a tenth place finish. Possibly a decent cup run too.

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?

I really like how quickly Swansea have gone about their business. Gylfi Sigurdsson was a revelation last time round and I'm fully expecting the same again, he's a superb player when used correctly and I can see him and Bony (if he stays) linking up very nicely. I also like the move for Gomis. He's an excellent signing on a free transfer and he's bound to score goals at this level.

I'm a bit disappointed to see Michel Vorm and Ben Davies leave, especially the latter as I think he's a real talent. Huw Jenkins managed to get  excellent fees for the pair though.

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Stadium before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?

I haven't visited the Liberty before, but It looks like an excellent day/night out. If I can get a ticket then I'll certainly come down this year.

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

I like a few - Ki Sung-Yeung is extremely talented, as is Sigurdsson. I'd have to go with Leon Britton though - he epitomises everything about Swansea City and I respect his loyalty a lot. Not many players manage to stay at a club for so long, and its great to see him come through the leagues like he has.

Least favourite is a toss-up between Chico Flores and Jonjo Shelvey. Flores just irritates me, whereas Shelvey has a Liverpudlian background and for obvious reasons I'll always have a disliking towards him.

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him?

It has to be Laudrup. When Brendan Rodgers left many thought it'd be hard to replace him, but Laudrup came in and took Swansea to the next level albeit only for a season. He made some astute signings and played the same brand of football. It was a real shame to see him leave.

I don't know what to make of Garry Monk. Its weird because he seems like one of the lads, but all the players seem to respect him and what he's done for the club. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?

Without sounding too big-headed, I'd feel pretty confident. I can't wait for the season opener between the two sides in about a fortnight, and I reckon they'll be goals galore. Hopefully with Van Persie, Rooney and Juan Mata as a front-three, we'll be able to just nick the game 3-2.

Thanks again to Jordan for answering these questions. You can follow Old Trafford Faithful on Twitter @OTFaithful