Friday 1 August 2014

Who are ya? An Aston Villa fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Villain



The second of a nineteen-part series, this installment sees Damian Dugdale of The Villa Blog give his views on the Swans.

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?
 
My name is Damian and I started The Villa Blog nearly 10 years ago. I'm from the Midlands and the first match my dad ever took me to was at Villa Park and because most of the school were Aston Villa fans, that's how I picked my team. 30 plus years later, through great times and bad times, I'm still here.

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?
 
In fairness, there haven't been that many games so I'll pick the 2-0 win a couple of seasons ago.

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans? Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

A lot is going to come down to stability for you and I hate to say it, but I can't see Monk staying in the job for the season. The stability aspect comes down to how soon you get rid of him. Leave it too late and you could have problems. So to answer your question; not sure.

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?

I know you've lost a couple of players to Spurs but you've also brought some in, and I think it's going to be important to go into September with Bony in your side. Keep him and as long as he stays fit then you'll score goals, especially if that Ecuadorian player makes the impact I'm sure you'd like to see.

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Staidum before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?
 
I'm fairly sure I haven't and games are a premium for me as I left the UK a number of years ago. Will I go this year, very much doubt it but when I do come over now, it's very much for away games. The atmosphere at away matches is always better.

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

This is going to be tough. I'll pick Bony as I think he's your best player and for my least favourite .. I don't have any least favourite Swansea players.

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him? 

I'll go Laudrup. I'm not sure why you got rid of him, but I think Rodgers had it all set up for him, but still did a good job. Laudrup for me was full of class and given time would have secured Swansea as a Premier League side. I think with Monk, you've got a serious chance of getting relegated this season, if you keep him. The Premier League is a beast of a season and I'm not sure he has what's needed to survive. But this season will tell.

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?


We have been poor the last two seasons, but I think man for man right now, we'd win. But I've got to say that. If you were asking as a supporter of a Manchester side, I'd make it possible that on any given day, we could win, but that's what supporting your side is all about.

Thanks to Damian for answering the questions! You can follow The Villa Blog on Twitter @TheVillaBlog