Thursday 7 August 2014

Who are ya? A Liverpool fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Red


In this, the seventh installment of our series of interviews with fans of opposing clubs, Jim Fishlock of AnfieldIndex, This Is Anfield & EPLRoundtable fame gives his views on our club.

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?

Hello, I'm Jim Fishlock and I write about Liverpool for Anfield Index and This is Anfield. I've also appeared on The Anfield Index Podcast the the EPL Index Podcast, and Liverpool have always been my team - I guess because I was born in 1980 and theirs was the first kit I ever owned.

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?

Obviously, we haven't played each other that many times due to us being in different divisions but I've watched every game we've played in the Barclays Premier League, and the obvious one is the 4-3 win last season at Anfield. I can't help but remember Rodgers' last game for Swansea against us though, where you basically took the piss out of Kenny's side and won 1-0.

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans?  Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

Although I'm a Cardiff lad I've always had a soft spot for the Swans and I guess that's down to Brendan Rodgers - I watched them a lot during his spell there and was always extremely impressed with them. I was sceptical of Laudrup as he always seems to be a short term manager, however, full credit to Huw Jenkins and the club for not allowing the constant changing of managers to affect the club in anyway. I like Gary Monk, and I think you'll have a good season this year. I'd expect you to be no lower than 12th.

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?

I've been impressed with the activity so far. Monk has cleared out the Spanish clique and gone for players he is familiar with and who he knows can do a job for him and the team. It's not all about the big names - Sigurdsson is a great signing. I'd imagine he'll get 10-15 goals this season and if you keep Bony then who knows, perhaps a top 8 finish is not beyond your reach.

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Staidum before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?

I've been a few times, mainly to watch the Ospreys if I'm honest and the Wales Ladies football side. It's a good stadium, the facilities are good and I hope to return this season.

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

I like Neil Taylor, Leon Britton and Gylfi Sigurdsson. It's too tough to choose between those three really! As for the one I dislike, it can only be Chico Flores - he's easy to dislike isn't he! (and seemingly someone we no longer have to worry about - Ed).

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him?

It can only be Brendan Rodgers. To me, the man is a genius. How he got you up was fantastic, and I watched all that season in the Championship - then how he kept you in the Premiership was even more miraculous. Tight in defence, good football and all with a very inexperienced squad in terms of PL experience. Outstanding.

I fully expect Monk to have a strong season, and he showed enough last year after he took over for Swansea fans to be confident. He appears to have his ideas and the players seem to want to play for him, which is always a good sign.

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?

I think we'd win. Not comfortably as you have goals in your side but I think we'd have too much for you. 3-1 I'd say.

Many thanks to Jim for taking the time to answer our questions. You can follow him on Twitter @JimFish286