Saturday 16 August 2014

Who are ya? A Leicester City fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Fox



The eighteenth and penultimate effort in our series of interviews with fans of opposing teams, this installment has Leicester fan Krystian Moson from First4LCFC.co.uk answering our questions

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?

My name is Krystian, I’m currently a student at Sheffield Hallam University studying Business. I am also the co-owner of First4LCFC which is a supporters page for Leicester City. We have a growing audience on Twitter as well as a website which picks up approximately 10,000-15,000 hits a day. 

I have been following the Foxes ever since I was born. My dad is a Leicester City fan and I have been going down to the ground as long as I can remember - starting at Filbert Street before we made the move to our new stadium. 

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?

Haha good question! It’s not one that I can really think of of the top of my head as there really hasn’t been any stand out meetings between the two! However, I guess the last time we met (January 2011) which was in the Championship we beat you, so if we could do that again this season it’d be just great! 

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans?  Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

Personally, I think that you’ve looked impressive over the past couple of seasons and I see this year being a similar story. In terms of whether or not your squad is stronger than last year, I’m going to have to say that it’s been weakened a little. The departures of Vorm, Chico and Davies have significantly dented your back line in my opinion. 

Whilst Fabianski, Sigurdsson and Gomis have been signed, I just think the frailties at the back may well be exposed in the coming year a little more than previously. As we know the Premier League is very competitive and I think of the three seasons you’ve now been in the top flight, your fourth could be the worst finish to date. Having respectively finished 11th, 9th and 12th, I believe this year you’ll finish 14th-16th and avoid relegation. 

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?

As already touched upon, you’ve evidently added to your attacking prowess with Gomis, Emnes and Sigurdsson. Sigurdsson in particular I am excited to see as he is a player with real talent and can really add something in your midfield and create chance after chance. 

Having already spent a season on loan with you guys - with a handsome return of 7 goals in 18 appearances - I think I’m right in saying that a lot of your fans are excited by his return. Elsehwere, Gomis is also a proven goalscorer, however not yet in the Premier League. It’ll be interesting to see how he fares however he could be a real threat. 

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Stadium before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?

Unfortunately not, however it is definitely a ground a lot of our fans will be keen to visit this year. An away day in Wales is certainly a pick on the Premier League calendar and we will be sure to sell out our full allocation without a doubt! If I can get my hands on a few tickets then I’d love to make a day (and night!) of it in Swansea for sure. 

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

Of your current squad my favourite player is Nathan Dyer. The tricky little wide man can change the game for you guys in a blink of an eye. I’m not sure whether he will really be a starter for you guys this year, but even as an impact sub he is a brilliant addition! He reminds me of ex-City man Lloyd Dyer (not only for being his namesake) because of his direct approach to the game and how he will run at the defence and deliver a ball or fizz a shot on target. Something which I think is lacking a little in the Premier League. 

However, in answer to my least favourite player - I really am struggling to find an answer for that one! I think you’ve got a tight squad of players and I’d be lying if I had to pick a ‘least favourite.’ 

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him?

Without a doubt I’m going to have to go for Rodgers. In your first season you came 11th, which is a height usually unheard of for a newly promoted side. His mentality and footballing mind is one of the current best in the Premier League and that has been showcased last season at Liverpool when they came within a whisker of lifting the trophy. 

Gary Monk - that’s an interesting one. I mean, fair play to him for taking the reigns after Laudrup departed with no previous managerial experience. Having made hundreds of appearances for Swansea you’d have struggled to find a passionate manager who obviously has Swansea gushing through his veins! Whether or not this’ll  translate him to being a successful manager for you I’m not so sure, but I guess only time will tell! Obviously, all the best to him. 

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?

Good question. Obviously Swansea are now entering their fourth successive season in the Premier League so experience is on your side and that can count for a lot. However, we are a side that is high on confidence and have gone unbeaten through pre-season. We’ve lost only a couple of players, whilst added a few significant names to the fold so think we are ready to take on the Premier League once again! Putting my neck on the line I’d say that we are capable of beating you at The King Power, however on the road a score draw would probably be my initial prediction. 

My prediction for The Foxes is 14th. I think we have a competent squad who have proven their ability to fight back from disappointments in the past. In Nigel Pearson we have a sturdy manager and the players on the pitch know exactly what is expected of them. Let’s see what we can do! 


All the best to you guys also! 

Huge thanks to Krystian for taking the time to answer our questions. You can follow him on Twitter @First4LCFC