Thursday 21 August 2014

Fiorentina rival Swansea for Frenchman's signature

Swansea are said to have had a £5million bid for defensive midfielder Benjamin Stambouli accepted, but reports have emerged of Italian suitors too



Since the first reports emerged linking us with Stambouli a week or so ago, it had seemingly gone quiet until recently, when it was reported that we've now had a bid accepted for the Montpelier midfielder. It had appeared we'd switched our attention to Jack Cork (and given the manager of the French side's comments I don't think anyone would have minded), but that doesn't seem to be the case with rumours of Swansea's interest in Stambouli growing all the time.

We aren't the only team interested though. It's also being reported that Fiorentina are in for him, and that he prefers the idea of a move to Italy. It is Italian media reporting that though. Their line late yesterday is that today should see some more concrete developments, so I await that with interest. 

I said yesterday (albeit entirely based on stats) that I'd be more inclined to bring in Jack Cork, and the more I think about it the more I like the idea. If the price is right of course. If the club know something I don't and Stambouli really is that good I'm obviously happy to stand corrected, and if we do bring him in obviously he'll have my full support, but if Cork offers what Stambouli does in defence whilst offering more in attack that seems a massive positive to me.

We'll provide updates of the situation as it unfolds, along with any other Swansea transfer news, so stay tuned for that. With Fernandez coming in it seems we're still actively recruiting for a defensive midfielder (Cork, Stambouli), a winger (Modou Barrow is on trial), while a right-back/full-back is definitely on our shopping list too I'd imagine. Whether we sign players in all of these positions is debatable, but if we add quality in every area we're currently recruiting we'll have a very strong squad indeed.

This summer is turning into one of the best in Swansea's history in terms of transfers. And we're far from done yet.