Thursday 14 August 2014

Who are ya? A Burnley fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Claret



In the fourteenth installment in our series of interviews with opposing fans, Jamie from excellent Burnley blog No Nay Never gives his answers to our questions about the Swans

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?

I'm Jamie Smith and I've been a co-editor at fans' blog No Nay Never since we founded the site four years. My dad started taking me to Turf Moor when I was a kid and I got hooked - it's a pretty traditional story!

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?

Honestly, nothing is leaping to mind. I don't think we've played many times in recent years.

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans?  Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

I'm not sure really. I'm not convinced by Monk, but if you keep Bony you shouldn't have any relegation worries. I'm a big fan of Leon Britton but I suppose he's getting on now.

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?

Sigurdsson is an excellent player, but I don't really rate Fabianski as a replacement for Vorm. Montero is interesting, but I'm not convinced by Emnes or Bafetimbi Gomis either. It's a bit weird that Michu has gone on loan too, though he had a touch of second season syndrome last year. I think you possibly need a defender to play with Williams?

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Staidum before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?

I haven't been yet. I've not been able to get a ticket yet but if they go on sale I'll be tempted, it's a fair old trip though!

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

I've always liked Leon Britton; he always seems to have time on the ball - I like players who have come through the leagues too. Least favourite? Nobody stands out.

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him?

I don't know what to make of Monk, it felt a bit like he was pretending to be a PL manager last year (similar to Sherwood). It's difficult to pick between the other two - Rodgers set up the success and Laudrup took you forward again.

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?

I think our best team will give most sides a game this year. Bony is obviously a threat but I think our attack could have some joy against your defence. In general, we're obviously going to have a relegation battle but we have the team spirit and unity to come through it. I'd like another signing or two before the window closes though!

Once again thanks to Jamie for taking the time to answer our questions. Check out No Nay Never if you ever need some informed opinion on Burnley!