Wednesday 13 August 2014

Who are ya? A Manchester City fan's take on Swansea City

View from a Citizen



The twelfth installment in our series of interviews with opposing fans, this morning we have journalist and Man City fan Rob Pollard answering our questions

Q1. Who are you and what do you do? How did you become attached to your club?

I'm Rob Pollard, a freelance journalist. I'm the Manchester City correspondent for the Bleacher Report, and I also contribute to the New Statesman, Mirror Football and Squawka. I've followed City since 1990 and got my first season ticket in 94. Our team then was great, full of attacking talent like Beagrie, Walsh, Rosler and Quinn, and ever since then I've been hooked.

Q2. What is your favourite memory of a match involving your team and the Swans?

Probably the 4-0 back in 2011. It was Aguero's debut and he scored two and made one in a 30-minute cameo. Absolutely superb memories of that game and precursor to the form Aguero has shown consistently in a Blue shirt.

Q3. Ahead of this season, what are your thoughts on the Swans?  Do you think we'll be a better team than last season?

I'm no expert on Swansea, but you seem much more settled now than at times last season, which will help. Losing Ben Davies is a blow, though.

Q4. What do you make of our transfer activity thus far? Do you think we need to make any more signings?

I don't know too much about your new signings, in all honesty. I've heard some good things about jefferson Montero. Davies and Vorm going must have been gutting, but Sigurdsson isn't a bad acquisition.

Q5. Have you visited the Liberty Staidum before? If so, what did you think? Are you planning on visiting this year?

I've never been but I am planning a visit this year. Travelling up and down the country is expensive and Swansea has so far been one I've missed, but I'm definitely due a trip this season. I'll see you there for a pint...

Q6. If you had to pick, who would be your favourite Swansea player? And your least favourite?

I like Shelvey, which I know is terribly unpopular but I'll say it anyway. He's exactly the kind of player I'd want in a side outside the top seven. Great engine, works hard, never shirks a challenge.

Q7. Which Swansea manager (in the Premier League era - Rodgers, Laudrup or Monk) have you been most impressed with? What do you think of Garry Monk's chances with a full pre-season behind him?

In terms of likability, I think Laudrup wins hands down. Good-looking, a former great and wonderfully intelligent. When he came into the press conference room at City last season, everyone was in awe. He spoke with such insight and humility. He also played some decent football at your place, I felt. Monk, I feel, will struggle. Only time will tell, but it's just a hunch I have.

Q8. Finally, at this moment in time how confident would you be if your "first eleven" went up against ours, and how do you think your team will do in general this season?

Without wishing to sound arrogant, I would back City's second XI against your first. We now have two players for every position who are excellent. I fancy us to win a trophy this season and progress further in the Champions League.

Thanks again to Rob for taking the time to answer our questions - check out the excellent "Typical City" blog here (link), and you can follow him on Twitter @RobPollard_