Wednesday 24 September 2014

Jazz Richards to challenge Angel Rangel for right-back slot?

Based on last night's performance, Jazz may well be knocking on the first-team door sooner rather than later





Jazz Richards, or Ashley if you choose to ignore his excellent middle name by which he's oft referred to (though why you would is beyond me!), is by my reckoning one of the longest serving members of the Swansea squad. Leon has been here since 2002/03, Rangel since 2007, but while I can't find much info on his youth career I'm pretty confident in saying he's been here a lot longer than most. He first got a squad number in 2008/09, made his debut the season after and has since go on to make thirty-two appearances for the Swans in a career which, so far, has seen him watching from the sidelines more often than not.

It'd be fair to say that until now Jazz has struggled to force his way into the first team, and I'd say that's largely due to him starting out as a defensive midfielder before being converted into a full-back. Perhaps if he'd started out as a right-back by now he'd have played more competitive first-team football, and when you consider some of the midfield options we've had in the last few seasons it's understandable that he's switched positions in a bid to make himself more of an option for the team.

So how good is he? Personally, I'm a big fan. Then again, I was a big fan of Ryan Casey, so perhaps it's best not to read too much into that. As for Jazz, I think he's been unlucky until now in that Rangel has enjoyed such good health. I can't remember too many spells where the Spaniard has been out injured for a prolonged period, and given his cult status it's understandable that his position in the team has been unquestioned since he first arrived from Terrassa.

Now things are different. So far this season Jazz has played twice in the League Cup (left-back against Rotherham & right-back against Everton), and both times he's acquitted himself excellently. What's more, I've felt that on a number of occasions he's performed well when called on in the past. The re-signing of Dwight Tiendalli, to me, was strange in that from what I've seen Jazz is just as good a full-back. Especially considering how poorly Tiendalli played last season.

Surely then, Jazz is now ahead of Tiendalli in the pecking order? Dwight is currently out of action with a groin strain but I'd say Jazz now deserves his chance. If Rangel's form dips, or if more pace off the mark is needed at full-back, I think we've definitely got a decent option in young Jazzley. Following the League Cup victory over Everton (a game in which he performed excellently), he pointed out that hard work and keeping things simple are very much at the heart of his plans to force his way into the team:

“It’s nice to get some game-time. The gaffer gave me a chance against Rotherham and I did okay at left-back, and he handed me another opportunity against Everton. Sometimes the difficult thing is to come in and just stick to the job the manager wants you to do.
 

“When you are looking to impress, the danger is that you want to stand out, express yourself and do things that you probably wouldn’t do if you were playing regulary, but I had to build my way into the game and stick to the basics like the gaffer asked me.

“I want the gaffer to think of me if the opportunity of playing regularly in the first team arises. You never know in football – sometimes an opportunity comes up and you have to be ready.


“When I have guys like (Jefferson) Montero and Dyer in front me, I can just give them the ball and leave them do what they do best. Jeff is a quality player. He’s so quick. We can get a lot from him.
 

“He can be our outlet when we are struggling at the back because we know he has the pace to take on any full-back and immediately launch an attack, and we know what Nath can do. He’s been a top player for this club over the last few years.” Jazz Richards

http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/richards-everton-cup-1957828.aspx#Vcy7010xmdEq0Kd0.99

Despite what Jazz said about "giving the ball to Jeff" and "keeping it simple", I thought that as well as putting in a solid defensive showing he got forward well against Everton, and was always willing to "go" after giving the ball to a teammate, in order that they then had an easy short option. He ran and ran and ran some more, and didn't put a foot wrong all night.

This leads me to ask - is he good enough to challenge Rangel? I think so. I really do.

Do you?