Thursday 25 September 2014

Are Swansea fast becoming everyone's second team?

Andrew McGlashan looks at how, over the last few seasons, the Swans have been attracting admirers worldwide



Tuesday saw the Swans finally achieve their first win against the Toffee's. A sweet victory made sweeter as it's always nice to get one over on Roberto.

I must say however that as time has gone on the anger I had towards Roberto following his painful exit to Wigan has turned to respect for what he did for us. This was helped further when I sat myself down in the most intimate cinema screen I've ever been in to watch Jack to a King - twenty-five Jacks in Leicester Square all laughing, applauding and tearing up together on a Monday evening that I'll never forget. My friends and I even had to go get a pint afterwards to settle ourselves down!

I'm sure the majority of you have now watched this visual masterpiece - if you haven't then get yourself down the cinema - but what is interesting to note is that the film's run has been extended for a second time. Now that's probably not surprising in Swansea and South Wales given the fan base. What is surprising though is that the film's run has also been extended for a second time in London.

I grant you that there are a number of Jacks in London and anyone who's been to the Hercules' Pillars can testify to that. I don't think, however, there are enough to justify a second extension of the film's run. Therefore, there must be a number of other football fans going to watch our story following the film's rave reviews.

Last season the Cardiff home win drew the highest TV ratings in the US for a Premier League game. This is a clear sign that the profile of the club is growing and is an incredible statistic given we were playing Doncaster away only four years ago. Seven months on people are flocking to pay the outrageous cinema prices in London (don't get me started on the food prices) to watch our story. Our story! Could we fast be becoming everyone's second team? 

The indications are that we are starting to win fans all over, both home and abroad. I'm sure you, like me, normally get a positive response from football fans (other than those fans of the Championship relegation battlers up the M4) when I say I'm a Swansea fan. There genuinely seems to be a lot of respect for us in the football world and this can only continue to grow as people watch our story on the big screen.

I wrote previously (link) about how proud I was to be a Jack given that a film was even being made about us. Now I'm writing with even more pride given the response to the film. Let's keep the story going and we can all look forward to the sequel!

Thanks to Andrew as usual for this latest piece. You can follow him on Twitter @AJMcGlashan - have you seen the film? What do you think of it? If you want to write a review for The Swansea Way or have anything else you'd like to get off your chest get in touch!