Monday 2 June 2014

Rumour roundup: Ash to QPR, Castaignos & Caulker in?

All the latest paper-talk...


Ash to QPR?


I can't see this one personally. Surely not? This early in the transfer window? If this happens, it's all about money - there are much bigger, more illustrious clubs that are rumoured to be interested in Ash's services, so to agree to a move to QPR at this stage of the transfer window would be, in my opinion, mental. The Sun even went as far as to say he's already undergone a medical ahead of a £3million move, though that's probably just 'Arry using his mates in the media to get a bit of a frenzy going.

The one thing that makes me think there might, just might, be an element of truth in this story is the newer rumours that we're interested in one-time loanee Steven Caulker. If the club are already in advanced negotiations with Cardiff (I bet that'd be tense!) then losing Ash is a massively softened blow - you could argue in fact that we'd actually be upgrading our defence. Still though, I would be very surprised, and a little disappointed, if Ash signed for Harry Redknapp's merry band of mercenaries.

Caulker in?


Oof. Raiding Cardiff is it? If this is the only player we ever sign from our bitter rivals from this point on we'll have done a tidy bit of business - god knows what Cardiff will have been paying him a week mind you. I'd speculate that he'd quite possibly have to take a wage-cut to come to the Swans, such was Cardiff's exuberance in the transfer market last season, and despite any sounds the Cardiffians may be making about maintaining their squad and coming straight back up getting Caulker's wages off the payroll will be very handy indeed as they look to assemble a squad capable of regaining promotion at the first attempt.

How much would he cost? A lot. I think we'd have to at least pay the same as Cardiff did when they signed him (around £8.5mil), so if we did sign Caulker I think you could view that as our major spending done this summer. Well, I say that...

Castaignos in?


This is the one rumour which, remarkably, has the most weight behind it and given no-one had put the names "Swansea" and "Castaignos" together before yesterday, this just reinforces to me how much of the club's work is done completely away from the eyes of the press. The rumours are we've already agreed a £6.5mil fee for the Dutchman, who despite seemingly being around forever is still only 21, and isn't 22 until September. It's a largeish fee but if he's any kind of player it's decent business, as his resale value isn't liable to drop massively - assuming he isn't a complete flop a lá Vazquez or Shechter.

I can't say I know much about him to be honest. I'll endeavour to do some research but what I will say is that I saw lots of comment on Twitter all saying the same thing; that the fee is a bargain and we've got ourselves a steal. 

If true, it seems we're getting some bang tidy business sorted out early this summer, which is always good to see. With the World Cup an understandable distraction, the earlier we can assemble the squad which we'll take into the 2014/15 season the better.

If rumours persist I'll compare Ash & Caulker's stats for this season, and I'll look to get a profile done on Luc Castaignos in the next day or two to see more about what we may be getting. Until then!