Wednesday 4 June 2014

Leon signs new contract; Ash Williams negotiations commence

More positive news from Swansea HQ


News broke this morning that Leon Britton has added a year to his existing contract, and is now tied to the club until the summer of 2017. Leon epitomises everything the club stand for on the field, and this news is certain to be received positively by anyone with an interest in Swansea City. 

For his part, Leon was obviously pleased to be able to add to his lengthy (albeit briefly interrupted) stay in SA1:

"To stay on at the club for an extra year on top of my current contract is something that I am delighted to do. 
"From a personal point of view, the contract talks these days are so easy. It was done within a day or two with no complications. I just wanted to get it done and signed and the club were happy to get it sorted quickly too. 
"I'm happy the club still feels I'm able to compete and do well at this level at my age. It's a big thing for them to have given me this extension and I want to repay the faith the board and manager has shown in me." 
http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/britton-new-contract-1598814.aspx

Leon has now played 459 games for the club, and I'm all for that increasing. All hail King Leon!

On to Ashley Williams, and it's been confirmed today by Garry Monk that contract negotiations have finally got underway. If these talks only started now you could perhaps ask why they weren't sorted out sooner, but we'll probably never know what's gone on in the last few months so as long as he signs an extension I'll be a very happy bunny indeed.

"We are in negotiations with his representatives and trying to put a deal across so that Ash will be here for the future of the club.
"I know Ash wants that, I want that, the club wants that, and that's what we are working towards as we speak." 
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/monk-confirms-williams-talks-30329380.html

Fingers crossed everybody gets what they want, then...