Monday 16 June 2014

Bony scores at the World Cup, plus the latest transfer gossip

Big Wilf hit the back of the net vs Japan, despite ITV willing him to fail


Not everyone understands why Wilfried Bony is so good. I would have thought, however, that someone like Ian Wright would appreciate the finer art of strikery, but after watching him comment on the match I ended up muting the commentary, such were the ridiculous statements coming out of the ex-Arsenal man's mouth. Worse, his ex-teammate Lee Dixon seemed intent to agree with everything "Wrighty" (an ironic name given how wrong he was) said, in that Bony "hadn't done enough in the first half" and "hadn't held the ball up". 

Well, he hardly had the ball in the first half and when he did he did hold the ball up. Ok, he didn't make the most of two half chances, but the first decent chance he did get - in the second half - he buried. What more can you ask for? I got the sense that the ITV crew were simply disappointed that with Bony starting they couldn't wax lyrical about Drogba (a player they know a lot more about), and in fairness I bet they had loads of Didier-based montages which they didn't get to use. Ah, bless. 

Anyway, a Swansea player scoring a goal at the World Cup. Wow. The last time that happened was in 1958 when Ivor Allchurch stuffed a beautiful volley into the top corner at the Swedish World Cup vs Hungary - it's been fifty-six years since and while I've only been alive for half of that, it was a very proud moment to see one of our players making the difference on the biggest stage of all. Well in Wilf. Just don't get any ideas about moving on before next summer. 

All the latest transfer gossip


First up the latest on Jonny Williams. A few weeks ago his agent said he was aware of Swansea's interest (though no bid had been made), and it seems nothing has changed since then; aside from a host of other clubs making inquiries. I've just realised too, that his agent is our favourite - Jamie Moralee! Here's what agent Jimmy had to say regarding the latest movements on Jonny

"If Swansea are keen on him they haven't told me — and I'm his agent. I've spoken to six clubs about Jonny and Swansea wasn't one of them. You'd think Swansea would be a perfect match with the way they play, but I haven't spoken to them. At the end of the day, Jonny is still at Crystal Palace and we have to respect that. 
"One thing is for sure, Jonny needs to play football on a regular basis, whether that's at Crystal Palace or somewhere else, but I've had not contact with Huw Jenkins or Garry Monk." 
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-haven-t-enquired-Jonny-Williams-says/story-21241974-detail/story.html?#ixzz34mhrQA3j

I'd love to see us make a bid for Jonny Williams, but it all depends on the price. Young British footballers have a crazy pricing range - we got Jonjo for £5million so I can't see the Swans looking to spend much more than that, but I'm almost positive Palace will want closer to ten. I could of course be wrong, but he's highly rated and Palace will look to eke every penny out of this one that they can. If he moves, of course. 

Personally I'd be delighted if he signed, but again it's entirely dependent on the transfer fee. We'll see what happens with this one over the next few weeks, I guess.

The only other transfer news of note is the slow rumbling on of the Ashley Williams saga. Sunderland's bid of £4million is reported to have been rejected, but it seems they're set to come back in with another bid. I really can't see that one going anywhere - they simply aren't a step up for him and I don't think he'd fancy it, even if they did offer him mega wages. If he wants a move that bad, he'll be able to find a better club than Sunderland.

So, it's understandably quiet at the moment. I've still got my fingers crossed for a token South American signing off the back of a good World Cup though...