Sunday 22 June 2014

Swansea 2014/15 home & away kits: Verdict?

This year's offering from Adidas gets a once-over


It's new kit time! Last year we had to endure a Catchphrase-style slow reveal of the kit, and it appears the club heard the murmurings from the fan base and this year it's been sorted a lot quicker. Well, about ten days quicker than last season anyway. At least we were excused the 'can you tell what it is yet?' part of the buildup…

Let's start with the home kit. It's obviously still got the Adidas stripes so that aspect is retained, while the main difference is the diamond surrounding the Goldenway/GWFX logo. Pretty retro… which I'm told is fashionable these days:

Swansea's home kit for the 2014/15 season

It's simplistic, and without the sponsor logo it would be a very plain design - though that's not to say it's unpleasant on the eye. Personally I quite like it, though the more I look at it the more 'stuck on' the sponsor looks. I'm sure I'll get past that though. Verdict 7.5/10.

On to the away kit then. This seems to have been greeted with a lot more acclaim than the home shirt, and Twitter has been full of fans praising the new look second strip. It's a bold black and red stripe look (I do like Red Stripe) which evokes memories of old Blackburn, Man City & Feyenoord shirts, and while I still think a "Welsh" away kit a la that of 2012/13 is s great permanent option for a second strip I'm more than happy with this effort. 

Swansea's away kit for the 2014/15 season

They've done the sponsor logo partially in relief (showing the colour of the shirt as the writing) on the away shirt as opposed to just black on the home shirt, while the sleeves and back are entirely black. I do really, really like this shirt, and will most definitely be purchasing one. I'm told vertical lines are slimming too, right?… Verdict 9/10

I can't wait to see the team run out for the first time in either kit - they'll be playing Chivas on July 16th as part of the American tour before facing Minnesota United, and then it's back to face Plymouth away on the 27th as our preparations get under way in earnest. Exeter, Bournemouth & Reading (all away) follow, before a home game against Villareal concludes our pre-season proceedings on August the 9th. 

I wonder which side Jonathan De Guzman will be playing for…