Wednesday 30 July 2014

Why Swansea City will finish eighth this season

Are the Swans set to be the best of the rest in 2014/15?



The Swansea Way's London correspondent Andrew McGlashan returns to explain why, in his opinion, the Swans could be in line for a very fine season indeed

It’s been a fairly lively summer so far down at SA1 with the club saying goodbye to some big players, welcoming back an old fan favourite, signing some exciting new talent (including new floodlights) and keeping hold of our influential captain. I think it is reasonable to say Garry Monk and the Board must be given at least an A- grade for their summer activity thus far, and I am presuming that the remaining “to do list” would currently look something like this:
 
  1. Sign up Ki to a new contract
  2. Get De Guzman back in a Swans shirt
  3. Bring in another full back
  4. Do whatever it takes to stop that beast of an Ivorian from leaving!
Should all of the above be ticked off the list, I for one would be a very happy Jack come August 16th when we rock up to the gates of Old Trafford. This then leads me to ask the question, how good can Swansea be this season? Well I’m going to stick my neck out and say we are going to have a belter.

Last year we managed to finish in 12th swapping managers half way through the season. With just the league and domestic cups to focus on, together with a manager who would give his life for this club, can the Swans top the previous three seasons so far in the Premier League?

Well let’s start by looking at the top of the table. Any realistic football fan would say that the top seven in the Premier League picks itself. Although the order of these top seven can’t be predicted, it is fair to say that last year’s top seven will be the same again. So that leaves the “best of the rest” from the remaining 13 teams. 

Southampton, Newcastle, Stoke and Palace all finished above us last term, but I don't think any of these teams have strengthened like we have. The unprecedented mass exodus at Southampton, the likes of which have only been seen when David Moyes tried to join in the United lads’ big night out, means that I can’t see them finishing above us. Newcastle had an absolutely dreadful end to the season last year and although they do have some class in their squad, all is not well up North with Pardew and Ashley at the helm. Looking at our current squads, I think finishing ahead of the Geordie’s is very do-able. 

Palace had an incredible finish to the end of last season and Tony Pulis worked his magic once again. However, Palace only scored 33 goals last year, compared to our 54, and we have added firepower by signing Siggy and Gomis. Palace are yet to do the same and will struggle again for goals so, for this reason, I see Palace finishing below us. And Stoke? Well I must say I don’t have much time for Stoke, especially after their last minute penalty last year. I’m convinced we’ll finish ahead of those rugby lads.

Looking at the teams who finished below us, I cannot see that West Ham, Sunderland, Villa, Hull or WBA have strengthened enough to make me feel that we cannot finish above them. In fact, I would expect all of these teams to be in and around the relegation zone again as only 4 points separated them last year.

Finally, we come to the newly promoted teams. No disrespect to Burnley or Leicester but I just cannot see them finishing above us. I like their managers but they will do well just to finish 17th. QPR I think will stay up but again I can’t see them finishing in the top 10. I can see ‘Arry leading them to a 15th place finish or so.

Now admittedly you may not be convinced by my whistle-stop tour of the teams in and around us and
to be honest I don’t blame you! However, I will leave you with this final point. Every one of the bottom 12 teams last year had a negative goal difference, the best being Newcastle at -7. Except us. Our goal difference was zero and suggests we were unlucky to only finish on 42 points - Southampton finished with a goal difference of +8 but they are very unlikely to repeat that again given their summer antics.

In light of the added firepower and creativity we’ve added this summer, I think the Swans finishing eighth and taking the "best of the rest" crown is a more than fair argument to make. Bring on 16th August!

Thanks to Andrew for this latest piece - you can follow him on Twitter @AJMcGlashan