Wednesday 23 July 2014

TOKEN SENSATIONALIST HEADLINE....

Tokan sub-headline retracting almost everything sensationalist headline claims


Today I read a headline in a London newspaper that stated "Michel Vorm confirms Spurs switch". "Here we go", I thought, "Maybe one part of this protracted triple transfer is actually done and dusted". But oh no! What was the next (and first) line in the article?

"Michel Vorm has appeared to confirm his switch to Tottenham"

Now, I know it's obviously done and dusted and that makes this not the best example, but the point is that it's becoming increasingly evident that, online especially, websites and newspapers are using shock headlines and capital letters to drag viewers to their site. I've seen it referred to as "clickbait", and the term is very apt.

This led to me having a bit of a moan about this practice on Twitter, but boy am I glad I did! First of all, the ever-excellent Hazelton Wang (who I still can't work out if he's a real person or not) replied with this beauty - perfectly demonstrating the kind of thing I was on about:

Next up was @D8nnyJ with this beauty:

This led to a stream of excellent replies, all of which I tried to retweet - sorry if I didn't! Here are some of the best.


As you can see, I had a great morning on Twitter - I particular liked the last one from Huw Mellor!

Jokes aside though, the point is a real one. I can't be alone in being fed up of clicking on titles like "Former Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal target in SHOCK move to leading Premier League club for CRAZY wages", only to find out that some random youth kid has reportedly been linked with a move to West Ham.

Sadly it seems there's little we'll be able to do about this. It's only going to get worse, and avoiding the practice puts you at a massive financial disadvantage - this website could easily have five or six times as many views if I tried to "Tabloidify" every headline. After a year and a half of blogging on this site almost always daily, I still make no money through advertising, but if I'd have been sensationalist from day one I would probably be earning a tidy packet by now. 

Where's the fun in that though? Anyone can type in capitals and jump on a bandwagon - I like the idea this website gives Swansea (and other) fans something a bit different to read. Something which isn't driven by the amount of hits we're receiving on a daily basis. 

Well, not entirely anyway...