Tuesday 22 July 2014

Swansea linked with Saviola? Championship Manager-esque!

Argentinian striker is a free agent following his exit from Olympiakos, and the Swans are rumoured to be interested...


You can keep your Lionel Messi's and your Cristiano Ronaldo's. Growing up as a misty-eyed (often plaster-casted) football fan, I spent a fair whack of time that I should have committed to revising for my GCSE's on building possibly the greatest Swansea City team Championship Manager (and subsequently Football Manager) has ever seen. I had Pablo Aimar, Ronaldinho I'm pretty sure... and up top I had one Javier Pedro Saviola Fernandez. Aka Javier Saviola. My Swansea team's greatness knew no bounds, and the lethal finishing of the little Argentinian had a lot to do with that.

I genuinely remember fantasising about what it would be like if we could one day sign someone of Saviola's ilk, and when I saw today that the Swans had been linked with him following his release from Olympiakos a massive grin broke out on my face. Before today I had completely forgotten how much I liked the wee man, and I genuinely think that if there's any truth in this it could be a really good bit of business.

He's 32, and his star has fallen somewhat meaning wages will be much less of an issue than some would think. This is a guy who has played for River Plate, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Monaco, Benfica... and he's still only thirty-two so you'd expect he'll still be able to do what he's best at - tuck the ball in the back of the net. Sure, his turn of pace is almost definitely to be found wherever he left it at one of his previous clubs, but he's a Michael Owen/Kevin Phillips type of player whose knack of being in the right place at the right time will always get him goals.

It would have been easy to write this off as pure speculation, but his agent has confirmed that a) he'd be very interested in a move to the UK and b) that UK clubs have been in touch. Whether one of those clubs is, as reported, the Swans remains to be seen:
"We have come to agreement over Javier's contract and he is now a free agent and available to talk to other clubs.

"He has always wanted to play in Britain and that ambition remains, and we are fielding a number of enquiries from the UK." Saviola's agent Christian Otero


http://www.teamtalk.com/swansea-city/9390421/-

I for one am all for this. We've got two big powerful strikers, and having a smaller nippier option to bring off the bench is so obvious it's painful. It gives us options, and his availability on a free is bound to attract the Swans, who do love a bargain.

Saviola to Swansea? Who next - Ronaldinho?!