Tuesday 1 July 2014

Tottenham want THREE of our players?! As long as it's not Wilf...

Spurs linked with triple transfer...



The original rumour which started this was Ben Davies to Spurs for £8million, which I regarded as fairly derisory given the current market of big-money transfers - especially when it comes to young British players. I hadn't given this too much thought but it's rumbled on...and on...and on, and it's at a point now where most of the press seem convinced that Davies has agreed terms with the London club, even though the Swans have said nothing official on the matter. Until anything's announced officially I always take it with a pinch of salt, and that's why at present the newest prospect - of a £50million deal for Vorm, Davies & Bony - doesn't worry me much. Well, not too much anyway.

The part of this I don't like is the prospect of Bony being offered stupid wages by a much bigger club than us. Realistically he should know that if he sticks around here a little longer he'll get a move to the Champions League club he wants - keep banging the goals in, and the clubs will be lining up. As for Vorm, well I've been critical of him in the past and with us signing Fabianski it always seemed likely the Dutchman would be allowed to leave. Personally I rate our new goalkeeper, and I think he's an improvement on Vorm, so that doesn't bother me either.

Going back to Ben Davies, I've pointed out on numerous occasions last season that Ben Davies has had a very easy ride from the media and fans despite being at fault for numerous goals. He's obviously a very talented player, and I don't want him to leave, but if we get an offer upwards of £10million it'd be very, very hard to turn down - especially with an international-quality left-back in the wings (Neil Taylor), and a newly-signed, highly rated youngster (Stephen Kingsley) just arrived and hoping to push his own way into the first team. 

For me, the only part of this triple transfer I couldn't deal with at this moment in time is Bony leaving. The money we'd get for both Vorm and Davies would easily allow us to purchase players who'll improve the squad, and with Fabianksi & Taylor at least qualifying as straight swaps for them (and no European football to worry about) we should be just fine indeed - and significantly better off!