Tuesday 20 May 2014

Swansea transfer rumour roundup - Bony, Taylor, McCarthy?

The latest gossip that's doing the rounds...


Firstly, apologies for the lack of activity on the blog over the last week. I went up to Cardiff to the Wales Blog Awards on Thursday (and was named Best Sports Blog in Wales), it was my girlfriend's birthday on Friday... ya ya ya. Anyway, I'm back and in business, so what's been happening?

Well, not a lot to be honest. The main rumours are, understandably, surrounding Wilfried Bony, with a whole list of suitors emerging. Everton, Arsenal and others are all reputedly interested in "the £20million man" but to be honest I'd say his valuation should be even higher. I think given the more orthodox nature of his role, and his relative youth compared to Michu, his market value is even greater than the Spaniard's was last year and I'd say around £25million would be closer to the mark needed to pry him from us. Not that I expect any bid of that amount to arrive, mind you. It would be a real, real shame if he wasn't here next year.

Another new rumour is Neil Taylor to Southampton. With Luke Shaw looking increasingly likely to join Manchester United they'll need a replacement, and the worrying thing about this one is it makes so much sense - for both Southampton and Taylor. The Wales full-back has been devoid of regular football for over a season since coming back from injury, and with Shaw departing he could easily make the no1 left-back spot at Saints his own. Plus, given his lack of action this season Southampton would probably get him at a knock-down price. I don't want to see him leave, but I can understand it completely if he's had enough of sitting on the bench now.

While we're talking about left-backs, we're also apparently interested in Stephen Kingsley, a 19-year-old Falkirk product, so perhaps the writing really is on the wall for Tayls. We picked up Jay Fulton from the same club and he's already forced his way into the first team, and no doubt he was asked for an evaluation of his former team-mate as well as the usual scouting the club would have been doing. It'd probably only be a couple of hundred thousand, so if he's any good sign him up. I'm all for signing young British youngsters. 

Lastly for now, let's talk goalkeepers. We're heavily rumoured to be interested in a move for Reading goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, who if I'm honest I know little to nothing about. I'll remedy that if the talk becomes more concrete. What that would mean for Michel Vorm you can't say, but if the talk of a £5million bid from Liverpool has any truth to it I've no aversion to the move, as I've been less than impressed by the Dutchman for the entirety of this season. If McCarthy is any good, and we can make a tidy profit on Vorm, then sod it - let's see if we can get someone who can actually catch a high ball. 

I'll get a couple of stats pieces up later this week, and if you have any interest in the data/statistical side of things and you're in London/can be in London this weekend check out Dan from wearepremierleague.com's event in London. Well worth a look! link