Wednesday 21 August 2013

Pablo Hernandez: "We can beat anyone"

Spanish winger looking forward to Europa League tie, and confident of a good showing at Spurs


Having played in European competition before, Pablo Hernandez is aware of what it takes to succeed at that level. He's previously made it to the quarter finals of the Europa League (coincidentally under Laudrup at Getafe), as well as scoring against Manchester United for Valencia in the group stages of the Champions League, so despite missing both legs of the Swans' European opener it's unlikely the winger will be fazed heading into tomorrow's game against Petrolul.

"I think I can help the team and help the other players having been in this competition before. I played in the Europa League for two years and two years in the Champions League. I am not the only one, there are others here who know what it is like, so it is up to those with experience to make sure we help others because it is important for us. 
"The most important thing is making sure we go to Romania with a good score, and if we can get to the groups anything is possible. It is an opportunity for us, but the most important thing is to first get through these two games and see where we can go. 
"We cannot forget the Premier League and we have a hard game in between these matches. After losing the first match we have another big team in Tottenham and it's not an easy start for us, but I think the team can go to Tottenham and win and show we can win away in the next two games. 
"We always play the same way, the same football. The team won't change their mentality for a new competition — we will stick to what we do.The most important thing is to have confidence in the team, the squad we have, the football we play and we can win a lot of games. 
"United wasn't good for us, but in the past we have shown we can hold our own against the big teams and can beat anyone. It was good to be back, but it was disappointing to lose...but it was the champions, a very good side, so we have to realise that. 
"We had confidence before the game but it wasn't possible to get the result and it was a hard score for us to take. Now we have an important match in Europe and our thoughts are only on this game.
"My injury is okay. It was disappointing to miss games but I can play now and I have confidence and want to help the team. We must make sure we have a good result from the first leg before going to Romania." Pablo Hernandez

Hernandez is right in saying that on our day we can beat anyone - except, possibly, Manchester United. Moyes seemed to have our number at Everton and to be honest I can see us continuing to struggle against an even better team going about under his instruction, but as long as we don't draw them in cup competitions we've only got to play them once more this season, so worrying about that too much is rather pointless.

More pressing is the game at the Liberty tomorrow. Pablo will be keen to start having been brought on at half time at half-time against United, and he'll be looking to get back to where he was around the time of the friendly against Reading. The winger looked very, very good in pre-season, and was linking excellently with Jonjo Shelvey, Wilfried Bony & Michu, so it'll be interesting to see how they'll get on together in competitive fixtures.

Hernandez isn't the only Swan with European experience. Ki has played for Celtic in the Europa League as well as featuring in a Champions League loss to Braga, while Wilfried Bony was previously the Europa League's top scorer whilst at Sparta Prague, hitting nine goals in the process. When he officially signed for the Swans he made it clear he's looking to do well in Europe this year:

“I believe it’s the right step for me; the perfect move. I had a lot of offers from all across the world, including England, France, Ukraine, Russia and the UAE, but I chose Swansea because it is a good club with a corresponding style, a great manager and, of course, playing in the Premier League. 
"I considered everything and Swansea came out on top. I had my best season last year at Vitesse with 36 goals in all competitions. It is going to be tougher in the Premier League to score goals, but I will try my best. Everything is possible. 
"Now it is important that I focus my mind on the challenge ahead because I hope to make the Swansea fans very happy. The Europa League is my first focus - I enjoy playing in Europe and I'm used to it." Wilfried Bony

Let's hope that the growing level of experience in the squad is put to good use in Europe this year. Get past Petrolul Ploiesti and we'll be through to the group stages, and that's where the fun will really start.