Wednesday 28 August 2013

Dwight Tiendalli finally decides the grass is greenest in South Wales

Dutch international pens three year deal with Swans


Well, that was belated eh? Out of the blue, the Swans have announced that Dwight Tiendalli has signed back on after seemingly leaving the club in search of bigger and better things. His quotes from the official site seem to suggest that too - even if there is a bit of a charm offensive in there as well to appease any fans with question marks over his return. 

"I'm very happy to have signed this contract. I had a great experience here last season and I'm delighted to be back. I know the people, the club, the stadium and the city. For me it's amazing to get back and to be part of Swansea City again. 

"It took a little bit longer than expected to finalise, but my first thought was always to sign for Swansea. I played 25 games last season. That was a lot of games, more than I expected given the situation I was in last summer when I didn't have a club. 

"I was very grateful to Swansea for the chance they gave me last season, especially to play in the Premier League - the best league in the world. Also, without Swansea I wouldn't have made an appearance in the national squad. 

"I think I did a good job overall, but as a person I'm never satisfied and I believe I can always be better. At the moment though I am just happy to be back and want to get myself ready for when the manager needs me." Dwight Tiendalli

Read more at http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/dt-re-signs-1020355.aspx?#xS5zTszIWLEgAQ6W.99 



Never satisfied eh? As long as you're talking about the football, that's fine by me!

I'm a big fan of Dwight Tiendalli as a player, and I was genuinely really disappointed when it seemed like we would have already seen the last of him as a Swansea City player. After quickly gaining admirers within the Swansea faithful he went from strength to strength to the point where arguably he was performing better than his Spanish right-back counterpart Angel Rangel - as well as featuring at left-back when Ben Davies was unavailable.

Football is a business, and having a player of his calibre sign on for three years can only mean good things as far as I'm concerned. Being able to cover both full-back positions, as well as being able to play as a defensive winger (as evidenced against Everton last year) means he's a useful player to have kicking around, and I for one have no problem overlooking his clear desire to find a "bigger club" to play for after impressing in the Premier League in his first season here; signing a three year deal says to me he's committed to the cause and intends to fight for his place.

I assume he'll go straight into the squad and depending on his level of fitness he may even be able to get into the squad for this weekend's game against West Brom, with Neil Taylor likely to be out for a few weeks yet, but tomorrow's match with Petrolul will surely come too soon. No doubt we'll see him in action soon though, and given he's only 27 there's reason to believe he'll kick on again as the team chase success on multiple fronts this season.

Welcome back Dwight, I missed you!