Thursday 27 June 2013

The day I met John Hartson!

Not quite "just another day at the office"...


So there I was, minding my own business in the corner spot I've come to like, when the door suddenly burst open. Normally, you can take that as a sign that Nev (I work for Save Britain Money - the business featured in BBC3's The Callcentre) has an announcement to make, but yesterday was different. In walks Nev flanked by none other than ex-Wales, Arsenal, Celtic, West Ham, Wimbledon, West Brom, Coventry & Luton striker John Hartson.

Now, normally I'm not one to jump at the opportunity to grab a photo with a celebrity, but given I run a website about the Swans, and John is born and bred Swansea City, it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up. 

I definitely have the best tie in the office.


It's such a shame that when his star was flying highest, the Swans weren't in a position to make him an offer given their lowly status in the lower reaches of the Football League. I did once hear that towards the end of his career a move had been mooted (under Martinez possibly?) however even if there was something in that it never came to anything. 

Since his battle with cancer, John has become increasingly involved in charity work and seems to be spending more and more of his time helping others who are less fortunate than ourselves. He's got his own charity - The John Hartson Foundation, and will shortly be climbing Ben Nevis to raise money for it - click the link to check out how to sponsor him, or even to register - although time is short!

One thing you have to say about John though, is that he's a good sport...

It's all gone a bit Friar Tuck...