Friday 7 June 2013

Laudrup: "I was hoping for signings by this stage"

Swans boss finally has his say on alleged dispute over transfer activity


So, yesterday we had the official club statement, and close on it's heels we get a soundbite from our manager too, and in all honesty it's not one which I was overly impressed with. WalesOnline have gone with the line that "Laudrup blames the board for the rumours" and while I wouldn't go that far it does seem that he chose his words carefully, and that he's unhappy with the lack of transfer activity thus far.

"I have always said that my intention was, and is, to stay at the club. I think all the speculation regarding my future is due to the fact that there hasn't been any good news since we played our last game three weeks ago. We all need some good news. 
“I had hoped for some signings at this stage, but I think this is a question to ask to the chairman and the board. They have all the names of the possible players for our team. And all the players, except one, are in Swansea's level when we talk about transfer and salary. 
“It is almost three weeks since we played the last game and everyone is looking forward to receiving some news regarding new players. Instead people can read in different papers and media that there are bigger and bigger problems with me, the chairman, the board, my agent or players who will not join Swansea because they are not sure that I will stay.” Michael Laudrup


I see your point Michael, but maybe if it hadn't taken weeks for you to respond to the speculation it wouldn't have reached fever pitch proportions. The board can't speak on your behalf, and if it's rumoured you're off, and your agent is drip-feeding stories to the press, then you can hardly turn around and blame the board.

I'm starting to think that the Dane doesn't really understand the history of this football club, and the board's (and fans') desire to maintain a solid financial footing. The Swans have a very specific transfer policy, and it's stood us in bloody good stead thus far. With all due respect to Laudrup's playing career, I'd still rather back the board over the manager when it comes to spending as up until now we've had no reason to doubt them, and if that's not good enough then perhaps you're at the wrong club.

Maybe he's been guilty of naivety in the press, but that seems unlikely given his agent's previous comments. As stated yesterday, I have absolute faith in the Swans regime, and will back them over any manager. They know the club better than anyone, and if they say we can't afford to spend "X", then we can't afford it.

A question for the board? Hardly, Michael. If you want to stay, awesome. If you don't, please don't mess us around.