Saturday 1 June 2013

Swansea award Alan Tate testimonial against Manchester United

Swansea fans will be some of the first to see Moyes' men as they come to town on August 13th



The Swans have announced that Tate will be given a testimonial after 11 years of service, and you'll find few who have a problem with that. Over the years there have been numerous incidents whereby Tate has endeared himself to the Jack Army (as well as a few which frustrated them - mostly when playing left-back), and few will forget him and Trundle holding a Welsh flag aloft in the Millennium Stadium in the aftermath of the Football League Trophy final, which was emblazoned with the words "**** off Cardiff". Both players received a fine of a week's wages and a police caution, and while I can't openly endorse that sort of thing you feel that he'll be remembered for this, amongst other things.

After failing to break into the United first team (although he did captain the reserve team playing alongside Chris Eagles & Luke Chadwick amongst others), Tate first spent time on loan at their feeder team Royal Antwerp before arriving in Swansea on loan as a fresh faced 20 year old, with the team suffering on the pitch. He joined at the start of that season where we came so close to dropping out of the league system, and his contribution can't be ignored - played 27 times in the league and I can honestly remember thinking that technically he was, along with Leon Britton, head and shoulders above any other player in the team (although that's possibly harsh on Martinez). Possibly a bit of rose-tinted glasses going on there, but he was competing against the likes of Lenny Johnrose...

One particularly fond memory I have of Alan Tate was of him scoring an absolute peach of a volley on the turn, after the ball had dropped to him from a corner. Thanks to the wizardry of Youtube I can share this with you! It's a really great hit, and backs up what I was saying about his technique. While he's never been the most forward-thinking of players, his first touch and control have always been very good. 




What's in store next season for Alan Tate? He went out on loan to Leeds last season where he played 11 games, but when he came back he poignantly stated he had no intention of quitting the Swans and wants to reclaim a first team spot:


"This is my club. This is where I want to be. 
"Who knows what happens in the future. Like I said when I went to Leeds, nothing is forever - everyone's playing days come to an end at a club. 
"It happens to everyone at some point, but I would like it to come to an end on my terms." Alan Tate



I've stated before that I think it's important we maintain as many tangible links with our less-glorious past as possible, and I feel Tate is a player who epitomises that idea. If he is happy to be here, I've no problem with the club keeping him around, as I'm sure the effect he has on the squad is an overwhelmingly positive one. 

We love you, Beaker!