Tuesday 18 June 2013

Jose Canas: "Swansea will help me grow as a person and a player"

New signing explains why he left Betis in farewell press conference


Following the announcement that the Swans had captured the signature of Betis midfielder Jose Canas, it's all gone a bit mad in SA1 as the reported rift between board and manager/manager's agent threatened to overshadow any positive news coming out of the Liberty.

Thankfully, it seems the dust is finally starting to settle around that particular issue, and today a nice distraction appeared online in the form of Canas' comments during a press conference held to mark his departure from his current club. He clearly sees Swansea as a club where he can improve, and indicates that playing in a league where a different style of football is prevalent is something he's very interested in.

Interesting for me, though, is (if ropey translation is anything to go by) it appears the Swans were actually able to outdo Betis in terms of the wages being offered; something I wouldn't have expected if true:

"The progression in my sporting life is important. At Swansea I saw something different. In Swansea I saw a great opportunity in which I will continue to grow as a person and as a player. It’s not that I was offered more or less money. The Premier League is different and my football can be beneficial, I want to experience new things, something I could not do by staying at Betis and I had to see other things - so for my family and for my future I took this decision.

“I will not deny that they have also made a financial effort and it’s unfortunate I decided not to renew my contract but economically Betis could not get to what I think I deserve, but I understand perfectly - it was not only economical, but many other factors.

“I feel I can grow a lot at Swansea. The Premier League really catches my attention and I think my football can be beneficial there. I want new experiences and I think I will grow as a player and as a person.”

When asked about the possibility of returning to face Real Betis in the Europa League this season, he reacted positively:

“I would love that. Of course I would go back and, even wearing another shirt, playing my last match at the Benito VillamarĂ­n  to say goodbye to the fans would be nice.I lived ten years in Seville and I grew up through the ranks at Real Betis. I always wanted to grow as a player and as a person and at all times tried to give everything.

“So now that my career will continue out of this club, I can only thank all those who have been with me, with whom I have learned and enjoyed on and off the field.

"I thank the Betis fans all the love and respect you have shown me, always have a hole in my heart.” Jose Canas
A fair comparison here would be to use Joe Allen as a yardstick. Canas is a product of the Betis youth academy, and in leaving the club he's severing ties which go back more than a decade, so it's a big decision swapping Seville for Swansea. While I can't claim to know quite how Betis fan's have reacted, I can imagine there's probably a split between the fans who understand that, in this position, it's hard for the player to say no, and the other fans who view a move in this situation as an action equatable to spitting in their mother's faces.

Much like when Joe Allen left, the transfer of a player who's spent his whole career with a club (up until that point) will always split opinion, but in Canas' case having a father who was also a Betis legend probably helps to sete any fan's misgivings. That being said, he had taken a bit of stick off fans towards the end of the season in regards to what they perceived to be a lack of effort on his part since he finalised his move to the Swans; although Canas refuted this vehemently (albeit through his agent).

I'm very excited about the arrival of Canas and if everything I've read/seen so far is correct he could be just the player we need - a defensive midfielder who likes putting himself about a bit. I think you've got to go back to Ferrie Bodde before you can find a Swans midfielder who fits that bill, and even then Bodde was never one to sit in front of the back four.

One thing that Canas does have which Bodde didn't, however, is an excellent head of hair. With the rumours we're looking at Lyon's Gomis (possessor of a great set of dreadlocks) it does seem that Laudrup is a big fan of a player with great hair. Signings so far have included Chico & Michu, and with Canas now joining the "Hair Bear Bunch" (or should that be "El grupo peluda"?) is going from strength to strength.

Want to know who we're signing next? Look for the player with good hair...