Sunday 16 March 2014

Swan This Day: March 16 2002 - Swansea beat 10-man Mansfield at the Vetch

On this day twelve years ago...

Swansea 2 (Watkin [pen], Romo) - 0 Mansfield


Today's installment sees us look back again to our recent past - only twelve years ago today we were battling it out against Mansfield at the Vetch with such luminaries as Steve Brodie, Jonathan Coates and John Williams in the starting eleven, and our lineup that day also included Ryan Casey - who I remember fondly because he gave me his autograph outside Burger King. Ah, memories.

Halfway through the first half of this matchup, Mansfield had 'keeper Kevin Pilkington (who I believe used to play for Manchester United) sent off for a foul on Steve Watkin after he'd half-cleared Casey's shot, and Watkin got up to convert the subsequent penalty. We made matters safe through David Romo - he came in at a time when we signed quite a few random Frenchmen and I remember being excited at the prospect of talented foreigners joining the ranks. 

Sadly they weren't all up to scratch, though I remember Romo being tidy enough and Mamady Sidibe ended up playing in the Premiership for Stoke - I have always thought he's been stealing a living though. The other Frenchmen I can remember are Mattias Verschave and Nicolas Fabiano - who'd both joined on loan from PSG. I never rated either of them to be honest, and a quick Google tells me they didn't really set the world alight after leaving. 

Were you at this match? What are your memories of our French signings? Sign up and get in touch using the MatchChat commenting plugin below!