Wednesday 3 April 2013

Taylor continues recovery with appearance for U21 side, & Tiendalli doesn't expect to be offered a new contract

Neil Taylor takes latest step in bid to return from horrific ankle injury


Having played 45 minutes in the last U21 match (away at QPR), Taylor was selected last night to play in their latest fixture, at home to Colchester United. The rapidity of Taylor's recovery is quite incredible really, as when footage of his ankle break/dislocation came to light it seemed highly unlikely he would play again this season, but he's surprised everyone by getting himself back into contention in record time. 

Neil Taylor. Loves it.
I previously blogged on his recovery (here), and it seems he's utilised all the tools available to him as he looks to regain his place in the Swansea first eleven. For now though, he is still returning to full fitness so it'll have been a relief for him when he came through 80 minutes last night unscathed. 

The U21 side found themselves one-nil down to their Colchester counterparts after just five minutes, but Neil Taylor impressed throughout by all accounts, forcing a save from the U's keeper and drawing a corner inside the first ten minutes. The Swans dominated possession but found themselves 2-0 down at the break thanks to a second goal from Conor Hubble. Great name.

The second half started a lot better for the Swans, with trialist Kenji Gorre collecting a Lee Lucas pass before firing home within five minutes of the restart. Gorre then proceeded to go on a mazy dribble before setting up Alex Bray for the equaliser, and then Rory Donnelly grabbed two goals for himself, seeing the Swans complete a quite remarkable turnaround. It has to be said, I like the way the development side is going - they're playing very, very young kids and promoting the brand of football well, and it'll stand us in good stead long term. 

Great news about Taylor though - after completing 80 minutes for the U21 side surely it's only now a matter of a game or two before he's being considered for selection for the firsts? The question is, in what position will he come in...

Tiendalli seemingly resigned to leaving the Swans



It seems Dwight Tiendalli is making plans for life beyond SA1. You can't blame him given the Swans' continued silence on his contract, and he can realistically feel a bit hard done by given the level of his performances this year. With the emergence of Ben Davies, and the continuity Angel Rangel provides, it seems he will, with the return of both Taylor and Jazz Richards for next season, find himself even further on the fringes. Tiendalli had this to say when speaking to local media:

Tiendalli takes on ex-Swan Joe Allen
"I don't think I will be here next year. I have only a one-year contract and I haven't heard anything from the club — the facts are there. I hear nothing from them when I only have a year contract, so that's why I think I won't be here next year." 
"I don't think it's about my agent going to the club. If the club want me they have to say they need me next year, not that I have to get my agent to call them. I am just concentrating on my games, on trying to perform well. I know what I can do and I think I've shown it in the games I've played. 
"The club have said nothing. I have a one-year contract and the facts are I am not staying here next year unless anything changes. It's up to the club, not me. They know who is running out of contract and who needs to be spoken to about extending. It's not up to me." Dwight Tiendalli

If he does move on, it will be with no lack of affection from the vast majority of Swansea fans, and it really is a shame for Dwight the way things have worked out. Given Swansea's need for four "homegrown players" for the Europa League next year, Jazz Richards will very likely by included in the first team squad, so you'd have Taylor and Davies for left-back, and Rangel and Richards covering right-back. Given Laudrup's repeated calls for squad-trimming and to only have two players per position, it seems unlikely Tiendalli will be offered a new contract.

His performances for the Swans will no doubt have caught the eye of potential suitors, so let's just hope that in a year's time we aren't rueing letting him go. With Taylor's ability to cover right-back, and with Jazz Richards looking very good indeed for Palace, there's no cause for concern; we are more than covered at full-back, but it does seem a shame to let go a player who has most definitely played well during his time at the club.

Whatever happens Dwight, I'm sure every Swansea fan will wish you luck wherever you end up.

Just don't sign for Cardiff...