Thursday 28 March 2013

Jazz signs new contract, and Michu dreams of finishing his career at Oviedo

Swansea youth product Richards pens extension to contract which was due to expire in the summer


This is the news that young Jazz has penned a new three year deal which will keep him at the club until the summer of 2016. As reported here, Jazz is currently on loan at Crystal Palace, where he's impressed Eagles fans to the point that he's drawn comparisons with Nathaniel Clyne (recently departed for Southampton). Palace are one of a number of clubs who make up the chasing pack behind Cardiff, and still stand a more than realistic chance of gaining promotion. This could prove invaluable experience for Jazz, who will almost definitely be in the Europa League squad next season - as out of the 25 squad members four have to qualify as "home grown" - it's likely these four would be Richards, Ben Davies, and two others (Lee Lucas? Kyle Copp?).
Ashley "Jazz" Richards. Welsh.

Given what we've seen of Jazz Richards so far, I'd say his retention is more sensible business from the Swans. He's looked tidy when he's had the nod, particularly at right back, and given more experience I feel he could well end up an important squad player. Jazz himself was clearly happy to extend his stay at his hometown club, and hinted it wasn't the only offer on the table:

"I'm delighted to have signed a new contract at the club. Being a Swansea boy, I see my career at the club and I was very keen to commit my future to the Swans. By offering me a three-year contract, the club made me feel they have a plan for me. 
"There was interest from other clubs, but Swansea is where I want to be. Of course, it is very difficult to get into the team because of the quality of players we have, but I feel that I can return next season and push for my place in the manager's plans. 
"I played eight games in the Premier League last season, and I think I got stronger and my confidence grew with each match, so I know I have something to offer the manager and team. My loan spell at Palace is also proving very beneficial and enjoyable. 
"The plan is to finish the season strongly and try my best to get Palace into the Premier League, and then I'll return to Swansea and look to impress [manager] Michael Laudrup enough to be involved regularly in his first-team plans."        Jazz Richards


Michu dreams of finishing career at Real Oviedo


This is an interview translated from Grada360.com, where Michu was asked all and sundry. Sometimes speaking Spanish comes in handy...

Q: These are good times for Swansea.
A: Yeah, it's true. It's the best season in our history. This year is the anniversary, the club is 100 years old and they've just won the first title in their history. Not long ago they were in League One and now we're competing with the biggest teams there are.

Q: The club [Swansea] pulled one out of the hat with your signing. It's incredible the fee was 2.5million Euros given your season for Rayo Vallecano.
A. It's gone well. At the time it seemed right and it's true that it's gone very well. It helps the team are having a great season, hopefully it'll continue. 

Q: It's said that when Michael Robinson signed for Osasuna he looked at a map and couldn't find the city. What did you think when you got the offer from Swansea?
A: I did not know Wales but I knew they were here [Swansea]. Last year I saw lots of Swansea matches because I knew they were a team who tried to play football with Martinez, Rodgers, Sousa... there aren't many teams who play that way in England.When I was playing for Rayo I saw lots of Swansea games broadcast and the PL. They're a side who I always liked for their style of play.

Q: When Fernando Torres met his now team-mate John Terry, Terry kicked Torres and is rumoured to have said "Welcome to England". Have you experienced the same?
A: No, no, no. Sure, I had a couple of scuffles in my first few games but I've spoken lots of this competition; the people are more noble and never try to hurt you. An example was Santi Cazorla's "penalty". When he got back to the dressing room Wenger scolded him. ""Here it is shameful cheating, attempting to deceive the referee."

Michu: «Mi sueño sería retirarme en el Oviedo en Primera»
Michu doing his best early 90's boyband impression
Q: How do you remember your Premier League debut?
A: Better than I could have imagined. I went on the bus with Angel Rangel, and while you're a professional there's still some fear when you go somewhere new, and Rangel had said it was difficult to win away in the Premier League; how it was important to win your home games to stay in the league. We were at QPR, who'd spent a lot of money on players, and we'd gone wondering if we could come back with a point; the final result was 0-5 and I had the fortune of scoring the first two goals. I was joking with him [Rangel] on the way back saying "Yeah, it's so difficult to score goals away in the Premier League..."  but it did go really well; a dream debut.
I spent two nights humming "Stand By Me", from my presentation hazing...

Q: There was hazing?
A: Yeah I remember it perfectly. I'd met my team-mates in Heathrow because we'd spend 15 days of pre-season in America and the other Spaniards had warned me; "Hey, you're going to have to sing...". I was humming the song for two nights in bed - I was shaking! I hate public speaking, and I can't think of anything worse than having to sing in front of people. I don't think I'd have a problem with it now, but at the time you don't know anybody, have to sing in English and are sure it'll be a disaster. In the end I got around to it, sung "Stand By Me" and everyone clapped. 

Q: There are players [at Swansea] like Angel Rangel & Leon Britton, who have seen all the promotions [not quite but close!] of the team, and the captain Ashley Williams too. What have you learned from your English colleagues?
A: Yes, and they've had a lot of attention for it now [Britton, Rangel & Williams gaining multiple promotions]. I get on very well with everyone, but I was surprised that Leon Britton was playing one of the biggest games in the history of Swansea four or five years ago to avoid relegation to Conference (that is not a professional league) and last year was one of the best midfielders in the Premier. It strikes me how there can be players in League Two that years later can play in the Premier League at the highest level. I think in Spain it is hard to find.

Q: Three important contract renewals in the last few months: Rangel (2016), Laudrup (2015) and yours (2016). This should send out a calming message to fans...
A:  Next year we will play European competition and it is important to keep a core of players. Security is also very good for bringing in people that increase the level of the team and we'll try to have a more competitive team for next year, but in football you never know what can happen. P: Michael Laudrup has been named the best coach in the Premiership this season. What has brought the Dane in his career?

Q: Michael Laudrup has been named the best coach in the Premiership this season. What has he learned in his career?
A: He's one of the best coaches I've had, the confidence he places in you is tremendous, the most that can be. I've always said that if a player reaches a peak he must have the confidence of the coach and I have, playing virtually all the minutes and he has taught me many things. What is most significant about it is that he is a very quiet coach who leaves a lot of freedom for the player. He just corrects, gives some guidelines and is professional because at the end as you have a responsibility on the field. Also, I think that goes with his character and how he was as a football player, he has much imagination and tries to benefit everyone.

P: He's a mentor for you.
A: Yes [emphatic]. He's chosen me from the beginning. Many people would say, especially before: "Hey, you're going to Swansea, you're in Spain, weren't there other teams?". Maybe there was interest but for me Swansea went for me, and Laudrup went for me, and has shown week after week I was right to make the decision. For me he's one of the best coaches I've had.

Q: There has been much speculation about the interest of several teams in the Premier. Have you received offers from other clubs or just hearsay?
A: For me personally I have not received any. Right now I'm a free agent as it was two years ago. To move to another team has to be a negotiation through the club and I have to get a good proposal. To date I have not received anything although it is true that you talk with the team, there are rumors, but now I'm not aware of that because I would like to end the season as well as possible.

Q: Why did you decide to extend your contract to 2016?
A: Because I really like it here, and the team are improving very quickly. I feel like an important part of the club and I didn't have to think long. They're a side I find easy to get along with because they're very happy with me. The club have more money and I've signed a one year extension, it's not that long a deal/

Q: No English player would refuse to play for another club such as when you refused to move from Oviedo to Sporting Gijon?
A: [laughs] I've never hidden from it, I am from Oviedo and will be an eternal rival of Gijon... hard. Yes it was a good proposal, but I preferred to stay at Oviedo because I was also an important part of that team. I'd like to get to the top of football, everybody would like to play in top teams compete for titles every season but now I'm not thinking about it, I'm so comfortable at Swansea and only think Sunday after Sunday.

Q: The team is living a dream but also so are the fans . What have you learnt about the British fans...they say the sounds are unforgettable.
A: It's true. I was fortunate to play in La Liga and it's true that it's very different over here. Many fans travel to the away games and when we play at home the stadium is always full...overfull. I personally love it when the stands are signing, I'm on the grass and it encourages you to keep going, or finish a footrace you didn't think you had in you, if only for the people singing. British football is spectacular.

Q: Many Spanish players are making the jump to the Premier League.
A: I think now the PL...yes it is a little above La Liga but it is beyond doubt they are the two best leagues in the world. I think economics is also a factor and obviously Spain is going through a major crisis and there's no money for salaries, signings etc... so it looks like players will keep coming from the Spanish league.

Q: It has been stated that the best coaches move to the Premiership with ( 47 percent of the vote on this site). Are you enjoying football more than before?
A: I enjoyed last year too. What a year! I suffered a lot in the last 10 games for Rayo but we were saved at the last minute; but here I'm enjoying it. At this point, we're already safe, have won the first title in the history of the club and for me personally so far it's been a pretty good season, playing a lot of minutes. Coaches voting for me [as best signing] is the greatest honour you can have.


Q: You have a very recognisable goal celebration...
A: It's a gesture itself, I've done it since last year. There has been several stories in my career ... sometimes rival supporters not have been good ... I can give an example. I played with Rayo for promotion to the First Division and missed a penalty that would have got us into the final to play against Elche,  ... and well, the Granada fans went crazy. I was itching to play them the next year with Rayo fans there and the Granada were there laughing at me in the heat: singing "Michu pulls another penalty!, Thanks for everything!" They were laughing at me but I lucky and got the goal to make it 0-1 and win the game. So it is a gesture of anger, because it's so easy to laugh at someone but when I put that goal, at that time there was no one in the stadium who could say anything, They had to eat their words.

Q: After the success you've had as a forward, would you like to return to your old position?
A: It's the best news I could hope for. For my characteristics I feel better because I think one of my best features is my arrival from the second row, surprising defenders and playing behind the central striker. You have more room as it's more complicated [playing as a striker] to score or participate in the game, but I've always said that while out among the first eleven ... if I have to wear gloves and try to stop the goals then I will!


Q: Obviously, Vicente Del Bosque will not judge your performance by a single match, but unluckily the day the coach went to watch a game of Swansea did not turn out to be your best game. Do you think this could have any influence on the decision of the coach?
A. I do not know. It could have been a good game for us, it was fertile ground for Swansea and a good game with Everton loomed. What I said before, there are many teams that practice another type of football and that works for them, playing long ball to Fellaini, and Goodison Park was not in the best condition at the time. It didn't go well for Michu or Swansea. We got an important point because we tied to zero and that is a difficult, but it is true that I did not have my best day. I do not think you can judge a player by a game or by the game that he had.


Michu celebrates his goal against Arsenal

Q: If you end up getting selected, will you do something special?
A: I have not thought about it. For me it would be bigger because wearing the Spanish shirt means you would be wearing the shirt of the best team in the world. They're now double European champion and world champion and I think it's very difficult. Sure it would feel crazy and I'd call my parents because any child starting to play football in Spain or for any team would love to play for their country.The most you can hope for in your career is to wear the shirt of your country and right now that team is the best in the world. It's complicated and I concentrate on work here every day and try to further increase my level of performance.

Q: Several examples of Oviedo's youth team are playing in the PL (Mata, Michu, Cazorla)...is Adri the next one?
A:  Yes! Adri is a very important player for Atletico Madrid and hopefully I can persuade him to come here [The Premier League] because I also believe that competition is conducive to improvement... but hey, last year he had a great season and won the Europa Leguge with Atletico Madrid.

Q: Those who saw you play in the Asturian youth team say you were the star of that team. However, it's taken a while for your career to get going. Why do you think that is?
A: I do not think anyone was to blame. As I said before, I think that the player needs to reach his highest level and have the confidence of the coach and I had four years in Vigo without enjoying the full confidence of any of the coaches, and I had many. Yes it is true that I had bad games, but I played pretty regularly. I remember my last year at Celta. I'd just signed a new contract and my first start was on January 2. There are moments that are hard for a player, you just contract,  seeing you don't matter, and it's true that Celta made a spectacular start to the season - but it was hard to watch from the sidelines and I knew I didn't have the confidence of the coach. I was fortunate to sign for next year Rayo and I played 37 games of 38(only missing one game through suspension), and that's where you can give your maximum level. We were saved, I had a good season also with a very humble team, and got fifteen goals that helped me to make the jump and win this move to Swanse... And I'm still scoring goals ... Then we'll see.

Q: Who is Michu - the player who started off at the Real Oviedo youth team?
A: I think my best attributes are humility and workrate. To me it has been very difficult to reach the highest level, nobody has given me anything and if I did it is because I've had difficult moments, away from home, and away from his family and friends. I've never thrown the towel in and have always gone with the maximum effort into the next workout, perhaps not knowing that Sunday I would start for the first XI, and ultimately I'd done too much to be any use. I think that's what's left of that boy. When I was a boy I used to get a train to games, and I'd have my backpack with me and I was so excited. I've also been lucky to have selected for the Asturan team,  but I have always tried to train like my team-mates, and be at the same level as them, and I think that's what's led me here.

Q: Can you imagine going back to Oviedo and the team playing in Europe within five years, in a style simliar to what has happened in Swansea? The new investment group that's taken over seem confident.
A: I wish! It would be my dream to go back to Oviedo at the top and retire there because it's my home, because it's my team and because I feel so loved there. Right now I see it as a little distant because they are still in Segunda Division B, have to go up and I'm currently enjoying the Premier League. Next year, God willing, will be my first year in Europe ... and I see everything as a bit far off but my dream would be to retire at Oviedo.