Friday 8 March 2013

Angel Rangel pens contract extension


Rangel signs new deal which ties him to the club until 2016



Breaking news this morning is that Swansea's rampaging right back Angel Rangel has just put pen to paper on a new extended contract. Angel is the latest in a series of Swansea players to tie their futures to the club, which must surely be an easier decision than a few years ago. Remember when Fulham wanted Rangel, and he threw a bit of a wobbly? That must seem as long ago to him as it does to us. When we were playing Fulham in the FA Cup a few years ago, surely not even the most optimistic Swansea fan could have envisaged the heights the Swans would rise to in the near future, and it's easy enough to have your head turned by PL interest, but it seems Rangel is ultimately grateful to Huw for putting his foot down and keeping the man from Tarragona in South Wales.

Such is the extent of the Spaniard's acclimatisation that he now feels like a Welshman, and the twang to his English when interviewed is of a satisfyingly Welsh orientation. Here's what he had to say when announcing he'd signed a new contract;


"I arrived in 2007 and I've already have six excellent years at Swansea. I am settled here, I am enjoying my football, I have married a Welsh girl and I'm building a house in Swansea — I feel like a Welshman now. I am very happy here on a personal and professional level. My new contract will take me up to nine years here, and who knows what will happen after that. I'm already doing my coaching badges, so I am interested in that — if that could be at Swansea, then that would be great, but I'm not trying to think too much about what I'll do after my playing days are over because I'm concentrating on doing what I can to help the club right now."
"It has been a great story for me since my debut at Oldham in League One. There was the promotion as champions in League One, then we did so well in building our reputation as a passing team in the Championship during a time when people said we couldn't do it. Then we got through the Play-Offs in the Championship against Reading, and that was an amazing achievement. After an incredible first season in the Premier League, people doubted we could do the same again or even stay up — but look at what we have accomplished already. 
"We are in the top half of the Premier League, we have 40 points already and we have a first major trophy for the club. What a story this is. We have shown what we can do in the Premier League, now we are looking forward to showing what we are capable of in Europe. It shows how well things are going here that so many of the squad have signed new contracts here. The club realise the players are doing a great job and the board and chairman are rewarding us for that. 
"We are getting better and better as a club."  Angel Rangel


The news, to me anyway, that Rangel is already working towards coaching qualifications, and is open to staying in South Wales beyond the termination of playing career, is welcomed with open arms. The Swans have shown time and time again over recent years that continuity is king if you want to build as a football club, and the more Swansea stalwarts we can retain, the better, as this could be key in helping the club maintain their current lofty status within the British game. The right-back is a great example to young players, his work rate in both defence and attack a true example to any player coming through the ranks; he charges around tirelessly, always putting his body on the line, and since Laudrup has put his stamp on the team Rangel seems to be playing some of his best football since the early days under Martinez. His forays into opposition territory have become both more numerous, and more effective, of late, and given that the Spaniard doesn't have a lightning turn of pace to lose it's possible he can maintain this level of performance for a number of years yet.

I tried to find a video of the goal he scored away at Doncaster right at the death a couple of years ago, but sadly it doesn't seem to be online any more. Shame, as it is a brilliant goal. For those who haven't seen it, it's the 90th minute with the Swans 1-0 down, and Kemy Augustien pings a 50 yard ball left to right deep into the opposition penalty area. Rangel, unbelievably, finds himself as the Swans most advanced player, and after taking an exquisite first touch over his shoulder under pressure from a defender, buries a half volley into the roof of the net with his second, saving a point for the Swans. I remember thinking that this was our right-back, and if he was capable of doing that he's alright by me for some time yet. That still stands, and Rangel deserves a new deal as much as anyone else in the Swansea squad.

If anyone does know of that video online, please feel free to link to it in the comment section...