Wednesday 15 May 2013

Tiendalli set to discuss new contract

Energetic fullback wants to extend stay in South Wales


News broke today that Dwight Tiendalli has had something of an about turn in terms of a new contract. Originally, it looked unlikely he'd get a new deal given that the Swans need to make up a quota of "home grown" players for next year's Europa League, however it did always seem a shame given that he's performed well whenever he's been called upon.

Tiendalli in action against Arsenal in the FA Cup
Earlier in the season, when asked about a new contract he was somewhat vague, stating that it was up to the club and he didn't know what the future held. I did wonder at the time whether such words were wise, as the Swans are keen for players to make a statement of intent when it comes to renewing contracts. Huw Jenkins has stated time and time again that we want players who want to play for the Swans, and Tiendalli's words left me wondering whether he'd have been better off saying something along the lines of "Of course I want to stay, but I'm concentrating on my football for now".

As it happens, he's now come out with something akin to that:

"Of course I want to stay. I like Swansea and we're going to talk this week. Me and the club are going to talk about the future and we will see where it ends. I've played 21 games this season. It's not just about the last couple of weeks — it's about all the games. 
"I have a feeling I did my job well and we will see what happens. I've enjoyed it very much. I like the club, I like the squad and we play good football." 
"Playing in Europe is a big attraction. I've played a lot of games in the Europa League. For Swansea this is the next step. It will be a good experience for the players.I played for Feyenoord and FC Twente in the Europa League. My best memory was getting into the quarter-finals against Villarreal with Twente [in 2011]"

When asked about whether the Swans could make an impact in Europe, Tiendalli reacted positively:

"Of course, we have good players. As long as we play at 100 per cent and keep faith in ourselves, we can do a lot." Dwight Tiendalli

Tiendalli has consistently proven his worth this season, and has shown he can operate effectively on either side of the Swans defence, and a player who can effectively cover two defensive positions is a serious plus going into what could turn out to be a gruelling European campaign. Incidentally, I just checked the odds for the Swans to win the Europa League and they're only 50-1. The bookies don't think it's that unfeasible, then...

As stated above, it looked like Tiendalli may miss out on a new contract despite impressing, given the Swans need to include "home grown players" in their squad for next year. With Angel Rangel a solid fixture, and with Neil Taylor and Ben Davies meeting the "home grown" criteria, it seemed likely the Swans would recall Jazz Richards to the first team squad for next year which would give the Swans two defenders for both full back position. I said at the time that even with Jazz it would be prudent to retain Tiendalli, and it seems that he may now be awarded a new deal.

With any player we sign, there's no guarantee they'll fit into the squad or the way the team plays football, so when we do find players who fit the mould it's imperative we retain them; especially when it won't cost much to do so. We signed Tiendalli on a free and I very much doubt he'll ask for a massive contract, and given that he already has quite a lot of European experience another older head in the squad wouldn't go amiss.

I for one would be delighted if Dwight was offered (and accepts) a new deal. I think he's been excellent this year, and he was no doubt thrilled to score the winner at Wigan on Tuesday night - his first goal for the club and one which guaranteed the Swans a ninth-placed finish. Every time his name has been brought up in conversation between Swansea fans I've heard nothing but positive things, and it seems I'm not alone in hoping he gets a new deal. Over to the board now, but it seems this contract renewal would be a popular one.