Monday 13 October 2014

Garry Monk In Three Quotes

Eric Imhof of AustinJackArmy's weekly segment looks at three occasions where Monk's message has come through loud and clear




It’s been a slow weekend without any Premier League action (although the international games were at least somewhat entertaining, and I’m currently occupying myself by worrying about Wilfried Bony traveling around Africa, but I don’t really know what more to write about that), so what is a poor Swans fan to do? 

Well, since I’ve been giving Garry Monk a hard time lately (tough love?), I thought I’d take a look back at some notable quotes from his short tenure as manager - quotes that I think indicate where his football philosophy is taking the club. Just what kind of coach is Garry Monk?

1. "It's not a meaningless game to me, I want to win every game — I have told you that.”

This is what Monk told reporters after the Southampton loss at the end of last season, which came just after the Swans secured safety and just before he was officially appointed manager. It remains my favorite quote of his, because it shows a real clarity of vision and sends a direct message to any current and future players under his guidance. It also shows deference to his Swansea forerunners; after the arduous (and now well-documented) climb to the Premier-League heights, could a new manager, leading a team only in its third season in the league, really afford to treat any game as extraneous? Of course not. And of course, he didn’t. 

2. "Everywhere we've gone, from the training pitches, the cities of Chicago, Milwaukee and Minnesota, we have been spreading the name... We have grown in popularity and awareness and as the two weeks have gone on we've seen more and more Swans shirts about. It is definitely something the club should build on over here.”

Obviously this quote delights me as a good ol’ American, and I only ask that the next time the Swans come stateside they consider the soccer-loving state of Texas [we'll put in a good word! - Ed]. Austin would be an ideal place to train, since the 100-degree heat would forge them into game shape in no time. Plus, it would make any Spanish or African players feel right at home. 

All jokes aside, I think the American tour was a great investment, since there are so many fans here in the US who are fence-sitters, and nobody’s going to buy a jersey if they don’t even know the team exists. 

I of course can only tweet so much about the Swans (or yell so much at the pub), so building a network of supporters here by bringing the mountain to Mohammed is very wise. One of the dividends it may eventually pay is the obsolescence - although hopefully it never even gets off the ground - of the need to explore such money-making schemes as "Game 39". 

3. “I made a decision that I only wanted players who really wanted to be here so I let them go. It’s important here that players want to be part of this group.”

This was Monk’s response to “losing” Chico, Pablo, and Michu this past summer. Contrast this statement with the more recent ones about unfair refs and the grass being too long, and you can see why my eyes need a rest from all the rolling they’ve been doing lately. But this quote really sums up why I root for Swansea in the first place. It must mean something to play for Swansea, or how could it mean something to support them?

Thanks to Eric as usual - give Austin Jack Army a follow on Twitter! Monk certainly has had no qualms about saying it as it is in the press so far - what's been your favourite comment of his so far? Get in touch via the comment section below.