Wednesday 9 October 2013

Swansea sign 18-year-old Spaniard Pau Morer

Former Espanyol & Barcelona youth signs professional terms after training with club since July


This afternoon came an announcement on the official site (link) that we've signed up another Spaniard - 18 year old Pau Morer Vicente - or simply "Pau" as he seems to be more commonly known. He's been training with the first team for a couple of months now after arriving in July, but due to his young age he couldn't sign professional terms. Since turning 18, though, he's been offered a contract and will go straight into Kristian O'Leary's development squad, which is looking a lot more multi-cultural than in times gone by.

The total number of Spaniards in the squad is now up to a hefty nine - although Pau is the first Spaniard signed to go straight into the youth team. It shows how far our youth setup has come that we're now scouring Europe for youngsters, and Pau isn't the first young player to make his way to SA1 this season. Kris Scott (an American youth international) joined earlier this summer while we also acquired Alex Gogic from Olympiakos (a Cyprus youth international) and Gregor Zabret from NK Domzale in Slovenia. Zabret is also a youth international, and when you consider Jernade Meade joined from Arsenal and we'd previously beaten off competition from both Liverpool clubs to secure the signature of Rory Donnelly the future looks very bright for Swansea City indeed.

The acquisition of left-back Meade is possibly the most telling. Arsenal are famed for bringing young players through and Wenger has a proven track-record of blooding youngsters, so that he felt he had a better chance of progression at the Swans speaks volumes. There were numerous Gunners fans' who felt that Meade being allowed to leave was a foolhardy move by the Arsenal board, but I'm sure they're not too worried at the moment.

Back to Pau, though, and in truth there's scant information to be had. Speaking to the official site, he made all the right noises about being excited to be here:

“I am very happy. I arrived here in July but, until now, I couldn’t sign. I have been training with the Under-21s, but I am looking forward to playing in the games and helping the team. 
“The next game is against Crystal Palace on October 21, so I am really excited for that. I really like Pozuelo - I think we play in a similar way. 
“He makes everything look so easy, and he always chooses the right option. When he has to dribble, he dribbles; when he has to pass, he passes. I am a player who likes to keep the ball and play for my teammates, and I like to defend as well as attack.” 
“For now, I just want to help my Under-21 teammates. Looking forward, with a lot of hard work, I hope I can push for the first-team.”  Pau Morer Vicente
http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/pau-morer-signs-1106685.aspx#LBt6oIxlXWPZeK6r.99

Hopefully he'll make an impact and we'll see him in the first team before too long. Bienvenido a Swansea, Pau!