Tuesday 3 September 2013

Golazo! It turns out Alvaro packs a punch...

Swansea's new singing may not have the best goals to games ratio, but he does love a screamer





So, I get home from work and decide to have a look at some videos of Alvaro Vazquez. This was after reading on the official site that he's happy to be here, and that he already knows quite a bit about the club:

“I’m very happy to be here. This is a really good opportunity and I will try to make the most of it this season. I know a lot about Swansea, not just the club but the players as well. They have a lot of Spanish players that I was aware of, and of course Michael Laudrup as well. 
“I’m also aware of the great season that they had last year and now they are playing in the Europa League as well. I have never played in that competition and I’m really looking forward to it. Playing in the European Championships was very good. We managed to win it and I’m sure it will help me in the Premier League. 
“Also, having a manager that speaks my language is great. Also, coming to a new country and new culture, I now have lots of other Spaniards here that will be really helpful. I speak to Jordi [Amat] very often. As soon as he knew I was coming he rang me and told me it would be a great move. 
“He spoke highly of the club and said I would fit in well here. I know Laudrup as a player, and as a manager as well. When I was playing for Espanyol I played against his Mallorca team.  I have seen lots of videos of him as a player, and I know his teams play good football and achieve great results. 
“It’s an honour for me to be here and I will try to do my best and repay him for showing faith in me.” Alvaro Vazquez
Read more at http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/vasquez-on-swans-1034019.aspx?#t4RUqZT3fhOHqlgk.99 

Good on you Jordi! It's quite clear that once again Laudrup's high standing in Spain swung this deal for us, and if you take a good look at the first video you can see a Laudrup-esque "look one way pass the other" assist which leads to Alvaro scoring an absolute belter.

This next one you have Talksport to thank for flagging up earlier today - it's another peach!




So it seems the guy does indeed produce some amazing goals, and hopefully we can give him the platform to do it on a more regular basis than he has done so far in his career. When you look at the video in yesterday's profile of him he produced a hat-trick of varied finishes, so there's clearly talent there, and I for one am more and more encouraged by this signing. With a growing feel-good factor within the squad in terms of self-belief there's reason to be confident we can kick on again this season and push on to unparalleled heights.

He's been pretty active on Twitter since signing- you can follow him @AlvaroVazquez91 and he seems likely to retweet more or less anything you send him. Good on him! I'm really looking forward to seeing him play now, and once the international break is done and dusted the games will be coming thick and fast, so I expect him to feature sooner rather than later. Let's hope he produces plenty of finishes as evidenced above as we chase success on multiple fronts this season. Good luck, Alvaro.